With the shorter, colder, and darker days just around the corner, this time of year can be a depressing one for a lot of people. In addition, more and more studies show that depression and the stress that comes with it is becoming one of the greatest dangers to our health in the US. And when the blues kick in, it is easy to reach for the comfort foods such as chips and cookies, but they have a negative effect on our brains making us sluggish, fatigued, and generally just down. There is a beacon of hope though as the following foods can actually lift our moods in a healthy and satisfying way.
- Bananas—Luckily we can buy these mood-boosters all year long here in the US. Bananas are a great source of tryptophan which can aid relaxation and boost happiness. They are also high in carbohydrates that increase the production of serotonin. For a delicious treat to kick a craving and boost your mood, try my Banana Pudding from The Goddess of Raw Foods.
- Walnuts—Another food with tryptophan along with omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin B6 make the walnut a great mood-booster. They are also a good source of folate which studies have linked to happiness and easing anger
- Cacao—Raw cacao can do wonders for your health and happiness. Rich in tryptophan, it aids production of serotonin. Plus, it is one of the most antioxidant-dense foods—even more so than blueberries. If you’re more in the mood for a chocolatey dessert rather than banana, try my Live Chocolate Mouse.
- Avocado—Rich in omega 3 fatty acids, avocados are generally good for brain healthy and mood-boosting. They are also high in folate, reducing anger and depression.
- Spirulina—This blue-green algae is rich in antioxidants, chlorophyll, and fatty acids omega 3 and 6 which promote brain health and boost your energy and mood. This superfood can be consumed in powder form in water or your juices and smoothies for a boost to your day.
Stay healthy and happy!