Maintaining healthy liver function is essential to ridding the blood of harmful toxins and promoting healthy digestion. Smoking and drinking alcohol in excess and dehydration all negatively impact the liver and increase the risk of heart disease, liver failure, chronic headaches and fatigue, and digestive problems. But even if you are drinking enough water, you don’t smoke, and you don’t drink alcohol much or at all a healthy diet is still so important for a functioning liver. Here are five brilliant foods for you to add to your diet:
- Garlic—This potent food may not be the best choice for the day of a big date, but it is amazing at cleansing the liver because of its high amount of allicin and selenium. It also helps the liver activate enzymes that flush out toxins, and adds a burst of flavor to any dish.
- Beets—Beets are high in plant-flavonoids which help maintain a healthy liver. They are great in salads or as a refreshing juice.
- Grapefruit—Also delicious as a drink or eating whole is the grapefruit. High in detoxing properties, antioxidants, and vitamins, the grapefruit is great at flushing out those nasty toxins.
- Turmeric—This spice stimulates the production of bile, digests fats, and helps detox the liver. Try this vibrant flavor in my Creamy Corn and Coconut Casserole from my book The Goddess of Raw Foods.
- Walnuts—High in omega-3 fatty acids and glutathione, walnuts are great for cleansing the diet. A handful is great as a satisfying snack or you can add them to salads and other dishes! Try adding them to my delicious Apple and Parsley Salad from my book or for a sweet option, my Banana Pudding.
And always remember that you should never sacrifice taste for health, because they work best together.
Stay happy and healthy!